Chichen Itza is an extraordinary well-planned city which shows a countless variety of architectural styles and pyramid temple which contains a little bit of mystery still provides a chance to admire the prominence of the ancient Maya. Check these amazing and interesting Chichen Itza Facts.
1. Chichen Itza is located in the eastern portion of the Yucatan state in Mexico.
2. Chichen Itza city is the base of the Yucatan.
3. This sacred site was one of the greatest Mayan centers of the Yucatán peninsula.
4. Chichen Itza city occupies an area of 4 square miles.
5. Chichen Itza was a large city built by the Maya people around 1200 years ago.
6. Chichen Itza is famous for its large pyramid temple.
7. All buildings in Chichen Itza were built out of stones.
8. Chichen Itza was discovered in 514 A.D. by the priest Lakin Chan.
9. The pyramid of Kukulkan in Chichen Itza is the most famous symbol of the Mayan culture. The height of the pyramid is 30 meters.
10. Chichen Itza was a center of pilgrimage for over 1,000 years.
11. Chichen Itza is divided into two different areas: Chichen Viejo and Chichen Nuevo.
12. Chichen Viejo has established around 400 AD.
13. Hunac Ceel, ruler of Mayapan, conquered Chichen Itza in the 13th century.
14. Until January 2006, the tourists were allowed to climb El Castillo.
15. The height of the Castillo is 24 meters and it has nine levels.
16. Chichen Itza was built near natural sinkholes.
17. Chichen Itza attracts 1.4 million visitors every year.
18. Chichen Itza city had a diverse population of around 50,000 people.
19. It was built between the 11th and 13th centuries A.D.
20. Each of the pyramid’s four sides has 91 steps.
21. Chichen Itza has a platform dedicated to the planet Venus located north of El Castillo.
22. Chichen Itza represents the blend of a number of architectural styles, right from the Mexican styles to the Puuc styles.
23. UNESCO declared Chichen Itza a world heritage in 1988.
24. Chichen Itza has the largest ball court ever discovered in Mesoamerica.
25. The ball court is bordered by 26-foot-high walls.
26. Chichen Itza’s majority sites are known for strange sounds.
27. Casa Colorada is considered one of the best buildings at Chichen Itza.
28. The National Institute of Anthropology and History maintains Chichen Itza.
29. Archaeological evidence suggests that Chichen Itza was once looted and sacked.
30. Each temple has 365 steps which represent one day of the year.
31. In 1923, the first reconstruction project began in Chichen Itza, it was commissioned by the Mexican government, but the restoration efforts were completed by the Carnegie Institution, an American-based organization.
32. Because Chichen Itza is so vast, restoration efforts are continuous. Even today, there are parts of the central and north group that are under repair and unavailable to visitors.
33. Chichen Itza is one of the new seven wonders of the world.
34. The great Ballcourt was constructed between 1050 and 1200 CE.
35. “Cenote Sagrado” is the largest sinkhole in Chichen Itza with a 60 meters diameter.
36. The church in Chichen Itza is known as La Iglesia. It is constructed out of stone and stands festooned with images of Rain God – Chaac, apart from geometrical figures.
37. The ruins and pyramids have just recently been bought by the government from a private owner.
38. The Temple of the Descending God is located in the center of Tulum where visitors are not permitted to enter.
39. El Castillo is the tallest construction within the Maya ruins of Tulum.
40. Nohoch Mul translated as the “large hill”, is with forty-two meters height & the only Mayan pyramid that visitors are allowed to climb.