40 Amazing Djibouti Facts

FEATURED IMAGE

Djibouti is located in Eastern Africa, between Somalia and Eritrea, bordering the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea. Did you know Djibouti is also the third smallest country in continental Africa? Get more information, facts, pictures, and knowledge by reading these interesting facts about Djibouti.

1. Djibouti is a country located in the Horn of Africa.

2. The official Name of Djibouti is the Republic of Djibouti.

3. Total Population of Djibouti is only 810,179.

Total Population of the Djibouti is 810,179.
Source: Media Source

4. Residents of the Djibouti are known as Djiboutians.

5. Djibouti is the third smallest country in Africa continental.

6. The official currency of Djibouti is Djiboutian Franc.

The official currency of Djibouti is Djiboutian Franc.
Source: Media Source

7. Lac Assal of Djibouti is the saltiest lake with the exception of Antarctica’s lakes. It is even saltier than the Dead Sea.

8. Guelleh was first President of Djibouti in 1999 .

9. Lac Assal is the lowest point in Djibouti, it is also the lowest point on the continent of Africa.

Lac Assal is the lowest point in Djibouti, it is also the lowest point on the continent of Africa.
Source: Media Source

10. Djibouti gained freedom from France in 1977.

11. Taxi fares at night increase by around 50% after sunset.

12. Moucha Island is the largest island in Djibouti.

Moucha Island is the largest island in Djibouti.
Source: Media Source

13. The Danakil Desert is a lowland geothermal region which extends into Ethiopia and Eritrea.

14. The official languages of Djibouti are Arabic and French.

15. Erta Ale is a volcano that settles in the Danakil Desert.

Erta Ale is a volcano that settles in the Danakil Desert.
Source: Media Source

16. Approximately 90% of Djibouti’s land is a desert.

17. Djibouti has five regions: the Arta Region, Ali Sabieh Region, the Dikhil Region, the Djibouti Region, the Obock Region and the Tadjourah Region.

18.The total land area of Djibouti is 23,200 square kilometers.

The total land area of Djibouti is 23,200 square kilometers.
Source: Media Source

19. The Gulf of Tadjoura is one of the richest areas in the world for coral and fish species located in eastern Djibouti.

20. The Djibouti Francolin (one of over forty species of francolins, a group of birds) is only found in the horn of Africa.

21. Christmas in Djibouti is celebrated on January 7, not on December 25.

Christmas in Djibouti is celebrated on January 7, not on December 25.
Source: Media Source

22. The national animal of Djibouti is the Elk.

23. Djibouti is a growing country generating approximately 73,000 visitors per year.

24. Most popular sport amongst Djiboutians is the Football.

Most popular sport amongst Djiboutians is the Football.
Source: Media Source

25. Qat, the favorite plant of Djibouti is banned in many European countries.

26. Djibouti has 195 miles of coastline. Much of this coastline consists of gold and white, sandy beaches.

27. Day Forest National Park, Djibouti National Park, and Yoboki National Park are national parks in Djibouti.

Day Forest National Park, Djibouti National Park and Yoboki National Park are national parks in Djibouti.
Source: Media Source

28. Djibouti’s Hussein Ahmed Salah won bronze medal in the men’s marathon at the Summer Olympics in 1988.

29. The unemployment rate in Djibouti was 52.33 percent until 2010.

30. Khat is a flowering plant and Khat chewing is common in Djibouti.

Khat is a flowering plant and Khat chewing is common in Djibouti.
Source: Media Source

31. Djibouti has one of the highest rates of illiteracy in the world.

32. The Djibouti’s population is divided into two tribes, the Issa of Somali and the Afar.

33. Nearly 94% of the population is Muslim while the remaining 6% are Christian.

Nearly 94% of the population is Muslim while the remaining 6% are Christian.
Source: Media Source

34. Djibouti has a semiarid climate that is very hot and dry.

35. The main exports including hides, skins and coffee.

36. As the city was built by the French in the 19th century, most houses in Djibouti City are also built in French colonial style.

As the city was built by the French in the 19th century, most houses in Djibouti City are also built in French colonial style.
Source: Media Source

37. Djibouti was known as French Somaliland till 1967.

38. The capital of Djibouti is Djibouti City.

39. Hussein Ahmed Salah from Djibouti was the only person who won a bronze medal at the Olympics in the marathon in 1988.

Hussein Ahmed Salah was only who won a bronze medal at the Olympics in the marathon in 1988.
Source: Media Source

40. In Djibouti City, Camp Lemonnier is the only United States military base in Africa.

40 Amazing Djibouti Facts
How useful was this? Rate this post

Featured photo

40 Interesting Singapore Facts

featured image

40 Interesting Facts about Argentina