Singapore is a land of rich cultural diversity and different ethnicities like Chinese, Malay, and Indian. Consisted only of one main island and 63 other tiny islands, Singapore history, climate, location, and culture is a must. Learn more about interesting Singapore facts in this list.
1. Singapore is an island city-state in Southeast Asia.
2. Singapore is also known as “Land of Acronyms”.
3. The name of Singapore was derived from the Sanskrit word Singha or Simha, which means “Lion”.
4. The population of Singapore is around 5,751,186 in 2017.
5. Lion is the national animal of Singapore.
6. The longest river in Singapore is Kallang River.
7. The whole Singapore national anthem is printed in micro text on the back of the $1,000 note.
8. It is illegal to not flush the toilet in Singapore.
9. Singapore has “Hug Me” coca cola machine at the National University of Singapore which gives a bottle of coca cola when somebody wraps his/her arms around the machine.
10. The National Day of Singapore is celebrated on 9th August.
11. It is illegal to eat in a public vehicle in Singapore.
12. Singapore-Flyer is the second largest wheel in the world.
13. Singapore is the world’s second most densely populated country after Monaco.
14. Singapore is the least corrupted in Asia & ranks 5th as a least corrupted country in the world.
15. Singapore is home to the world’s first-night safari zoo, which opened on 3 May 1994.
16. The highest natural point of Singapore is “Bukit Timah Hill” which is 164 m high.
17. Singapore has its national tree planting day on November 7th.
18. Lee Kuan Yew was the first prime minister of Singapore.
19. Singapore is the only country on Earth whose residents do not require a Visa to enter South Korea, North Korea, United States or China.
20. Singapore remains the most expensive city in the world as of 2016.
21. Singapore is consists of 63 islands.
22. Every two days, a new restaurant is open in Singapore.
23. Singapore dollar (SGD) is the official currency of Singapore.
24. The largest city in Singapore is Bedok.
25. Singapore is the largest exporter of ornamental fish.
26. Singapore is home to the highest rooftop bar, 282 meters above from ground level.
27. The Fountain of Wealth at Suntec City, Singapore is the largest fountain in the world.
28. Chan Hon Meng became the world’s cheapest restaurant to receive a Michelin star in 2016.
29. Singapore has four official languages: English, Malay, Mandarin, and Tamil.
30. The world’s largest bat also known as the flying fox is found in the islands of Singapore.
31. The lowest recorded temperature ever in Singapore was 68F.
32. Caning is still a legal form of punishment in Singapore.
33. Tanjong Pagar Centre is the tallest building in Singapore.
34. Homosexual acts are illegal in Singapore.
35. Singapore became the 117th member of the United Nations on September 21st, 1965.
36. The largest tropical orchid garden in the world is found in Singapore.
37. The Changi Airport is the world’s best airport.
38. Singapore imports fresh water and sand from Malaysia.
39. Except for a medical prescription, chewing gum is banned in Singapore.
40. Most Singaporeans have a habit of adding “la” to the end of their sentences.