Take a look at the history and traditions of Germany. Did you know they have over 300 type of bread and has the most animal zoos in the world? Learn more interesting facts about Germany on this list.
1. Germany is also called the “Fatherland”.
2. Germany share border with 9 countries including Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Switzerland, Denmark, Holland, Luxemburg, and Poland.
3. German is the official language in five countries: Germany, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland, and Lichtenstein.
4. Germany’s Lufthansa is the largest airline in the world.
5. Zugspitze is the highest mountain in Germany at 10,000 feet height.
6. Doner Kebab is Germany’s most popular snack.
7. Germany is the 8th largest producer of wine in the world.
8. The fruit-flavored candy Gummy Bears was invented in Germany.
9. Munich is the most expensive city in Germany.
10. Berlin is nine times bigger than Paris and has more bridges than Venice.
11. In Germany, there is no penalty for a criminal who tries to escape from jail.
12. Freiburg is the warmest German city.
13. It is illegal to run out of fuel on highways in Germany.
14. Around 2,000 schools were closed in Germany because of a scarcity of children from 1989 to 2009.
15. Hamburgers got their name from Hamburg, Germany.
16. 60% of YouTube‘s most popular videos are blocked in Germany.
17. Two million German women aged between 13-70 were raped by the Red Army in WW2.
18. Chinese checkers were invented in Germany.
19. The world’s youngest billionnaire is the German Prince Albert II von Thurn und Taxis, with net worth is estimated at around $1.9 billion, in 2006.
20. Germany and Japan have the lowest birth rate in the world.
21. Germans are the biggest beer consumers in the world.
22. Triberg, a town in Germany is home to the world’s biggest cuckoo clock with an 8-meter long pendulum.
23. According to the Guinness Book of Records, the Fairy Grottoes in Saalfeld, Thuringia, are the world’s most colourful caves.
24. The Zoologischer Garten in Berlin is the oldest zoo in Germany and the largest in the world.
25. Football is the most popular sport in Germany.
26. Germany is the world’s largest car manufacturer.
27. The Reichstag Building is home to the German Bundestag and the most visited parliament in the world.
28. Most of the taxi cabs in Germany are Mercedes-Benz or Audi brands.
29. Germany is Europe’s strongest economy.
30. There are over 300 different kinds of bread found in Germany.
31. The world’s first Green party was established in Germany in 1979-1980.
32. Germany was the world’s first country to adopt Daylight saving time in 1916, in the midst of WWI.
33. Angela Merkel was ranked as the world’s second most powerful person and first most powerful woman.
34. Holocaust denial is a crime in Germany.
35. Germany has more zoos than any other country in the world.
36. The Christmas tradition tree came from Germany.
37. German is the third most commonly taught language worldwide.
38. Germany is the first country to adopt Daylight Saving Time in 1916.
39. X-rays were discovered in 1895 by Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen in Germany.
40. Berlin has the largest train station in Europe.