Mercury is the closest planet to the sun, and thus receives the most direct heat. Among the eight planets in the Solar System, Mercury has some peculiar characteristics that make it quite different from other planets. Find out more interesting Mercury Facts on this list we gathered for you.
1. The name Mercury was actually given by the Romans.
2. Mercury is closest to the Sun as compared to other planets.
3. At an incredible speed of 180,000 km/h, it is the fastest planet to travel through space.
4. Mercury completes one revolution around the Sun in 88 days.
5. Mercury is greyish-brown in color.
6. Mercury’s magnetic field is just 1% of that of the Earth.
7. Mercury and Venus are the only planets in the Solar System that do not have moons.
8. Mercury is the second densest planet after Earth.
9. Mercury is the second hottest planet in the Solar System.
10. Mercury has the largest range of surface temperature found on any planet.
11. Mercury is also called a morning or an evening star due to it is brightly visible in the sky just before the sunrise and just after the sunset.
12. Mercury’s surface is similar to that of Earth’s moon.
13. Mercury’s surface has three significant features – craters, plains, and cliffs.
14. Mercury is one of the five planets in the solar system that are visible to the naked eye.
15. In April 2015, NASA’s spacecraft “MESSENGER” crash landed on Mercury.
16. Galileo Galilei observed Mercury for the first time in 1631.