From the steppes of Mongolia to the endless deserts of Saudi Arabia, Asia is a huge continent filled with incredible wonders, culture, geography, animals, plants, and more. Below you will find 40 interesting facts about Asia that will blow your mind.
1. Asia is the
Earth’s most populous and largest continent. 2. Asia has the world’s largest plains, deserts, and plateaus.
3. Asia is the home to the highest (Mt. Everest) & the lowest (Dead Sea) points on
Source: Media Source 4. Asia’s total geographical land area is 44,579,000 km² is actually larger than the moon.
5. Asian consumes 90% of world’s rice.
6. Deep fried cockroaches are consumed as food in some parts of
China and other Eastern countries.
Source: Media Source 7. Major languages of this continent are
Chinese, Hindi, Bengali, Japanese, Punjabi, Korean and Javanese. 8. Shanghai is
China largest city. 9. The New South
China Mall is the world’s largest mall with 659,612 square meters.
Source: Media Source 10. Asia can be divided into 6 sub continents, Southwest Asia, Central Asia, East Asia, North Asia,
India and Southeast Asia. 11. When
Alexander The Great governed Persia, he also governed Egypt, Asia, and Macedonia at the same time. 12. The Caspian Sea is the largest lake in Asia.
Source: Media Source 13. Asia is also home to many rare animals such as the
Chinese river dolphin and the orangutan. 14.
India is the leading producer of Mangoes in the world. 15. Singapore, Tokyo and Hong Kong are the three main economic centers of Asia.
Source: Media Source 16. Maldives is one of the Asia’s smallest country.
17. Borneo in South-East Asia is the third largest island in the world.
18. The largest land locked country in the world is Kazakhstan.
Source: Media Source 19. The longest river on the Asian continent is the Yangtze River located in
China. 20. North Korea prohibits celebrating Christmas and forces everyone instead to celebrate the birthday of Kim Jong Il’s mother, who was born on December 24th.
21. Nepal became the first country to authorize gay marriage.
Source: Media Source 22. Jericho in Palestine is the oldest city in Asia which was inhabited since 9000 B.C.
23. According to a 2012 report, the most crowded city in the world is Dhaka located in Bangladesh.
24. The fastest train in the world with a top speed of 486.1 km/h is
Source: Media Source 25. The Fountain of Wealth is the largest fountain in the world located in the Suntec city of Singapore.
26. The largest desert in Asia and the fifth largest desert in the world is the Gobi desert.
27. Everybody celebrates their birthday during New Year in Vietnam.
Source: Media Source 28. People have to walk around 6 kilometers in search for clean water resources in some parts of Asia.
29. Turkey is home to the world’s tallest woman (7 feet, 8 inches) & man (8 feet, 3 inches).
30. Angkor Wat found in Cambodia is the world’s largest religious monument.
Source: Media Source 31. The world’s largest flower is found in South East Asia.
32. Hulunbuir in the northeastern Inner Mongolia, in
China, is the largest city in Asia with 263,953 square kilometers. 33.
Indonesia and Vietnam are the world’s biggest exporter of coffee behind Brazil.
Source: Media Source 34. Four of the five tallest skyscrapers in the world are located in Asia: Shanghai Financial Center, Taipei 101, Mecca Royal Hotel Clock Tower and Burj Khalifa.
35. The Philippines was the first country in Southeast Asia to participate in the Olympics and win a medal in 1924.
36. Monkey brains are consumed as food in some parts of
China, South Asia, and Africa.
Source: Media Source 37. Asia is home to at least 2000 languages.
38. For good luck, people drop their babies from a 50-foot temple as a rite of passage in
India. 39. 400,000 rickshaws are traveling around the streets of Dhaka, Bangladesh each day.
Source: Media Source 40. Japan’s national anthem “Kimigayo”, is only four lines long.