Australia is the world’s sixth-largest country by area. These Australian Facts reveal the diversity in landforms that Australia is made up of and also the attractive tourist sites that it offers.
1. The National Floral Emblem of Australia adopted in 1912 is the Wattle.
2. Prior to British rule, indigenous people inhabited Australia for almost 50,000 years.
3. Australia ranks second-best country in the world for quality of life.
4. Kangaroos outnumber people In Australia.
5. The National Animal of Australia is the Red Kangaroo.
6. Most of Australia’s land is covered by desert.
7. It is possible to visit a beach a day in Australia for almost 27 years, as there are more than 10,000 beaches.
8. Melbourne, a city in Australia was earlier called “Batmania”.
9. Australian camels are exported to Saudi Arabia.
10. Mt Kosciuszko is the highest mountain peak on the Australian Mainland standing 2228m (7310ft) above the sea level.
11. Australia was one of the founding members of the United Nations.
12. 3% of the total Australian population live in the desert.
13. The only Western country in the world where the Bill of Rights does not exist is Australia.
14. The Great Barrier Reef of Australia is the planet’s largest living structure.
15. What the world calls “Burger King” is “Hungry Jacks” In Australia.
16. Around 8000 and more islands surround Australia.
17. The wine cask (goon sack) is an Australian invention.
18. The Australian Alps receive more snowfall than Switzerland.
19. The last death in Australia that occurred due to spider bite was in 1981.
20. The population of Koalas shrunk from 10 million to 43, 000, from the arrival of the British in Australia until now.
21. For the protection of little penguins from its predators, snipers were deployed in 2009 in Australia.
22. A fine is imposed on the person who does not vote in Australia.
23. Australia has a river called “Never Never River ”.
24. Scientists are yet to understand the reason behind Australia’s Lake Hillier bright pink color.
25. Australia produces almost 31% of the world’s uranium.
26. The Australian Plate is said to be moving 2.8 inches / 7 cms, towards the north annually.
27. More than 80 percent of Australians live within 100 kilometers of the coast.
28. The highest number of species of reptiles in the world is found in Australia.
29. Australia has three national Frisbee teams.
30. Australia is home to the top ten species of the most lethal snakes.
31. The Anna Creek Station, the world’s largest cattle station, exceeds the area of Israel.
32. Australia has a golf course, the longest in the world that exceeds 850 miles in length.
33. Over 80% of the people engage in gambling in Australia.
34. There has never been a recession in Australia since 1981.
35. Once, looking for water, about 6000 camels invaded the Docker River Town in Australia.
36. The only source of underground water is the Great Artesian Basin which prevents the region from becoming a desert.
37. Uluru, alone standing rock formation, in the Northern Territory of Australia, is the largest in the world.
38. A single cattle ranch in South Australia is larger than the state of Israel.
39. Australian women were granted the right to vote in 1902.