Due to their ultimate six seasons, grismo (summer), barsha (rainy), sharat (autumn), hemanto (cool), sheet (winter), and bashonto (spring), Bangladesh is sometimes called “the playground of seasons”. Learn 40 more interesting Bangladesh Facts on this list.
1. The name “Bangladesh” means “Country of Bengal.”
2. The GDP of Bangladesh is $195.1 billion.
3. Bangladesh has over 2,000 daily periodicals and newspapers.
4. Bengali or Bangla is the official language.
5. The main ethnic group in Bangladesh is Bengali.
6. The most popular sport in Bangladesh is cricket.
7. Bangladesh is only about one-tenth the size of Alaska.
8. Bangladesh is the 8th most populous country in the world.
9. The Bay of Bengal is the largest bay in the entire world.
10. Bangladesh is also the 5th most populous country in Asia.
11. Dhaka is the capital and largest city in Bangladesh.
12. Bazar Beach is 75 miles long and is one of the longest beaches in the world.
13. There are approximately 700 rivers flowing throughout Bangladesh.
14. Three of the largest rivers in Asia flow through Bangladesh.
15. Three UNESCO World Heritage sites are located in Bangladesh.
16. Three percent of the world’s tea comes from Bangladesh.
17. The Royal Bengal Tiger is the country’s national animal.
18. Mahasthangarh is the oldest city in Bangladesh.
19. The country has the third largest Muslim population in the world.
20. Many of the country’s historical sites and landmarks have been destroyed by flooding.
21. Kabaddi is the country’s national game.
22. Bangladesh has a total of 17 airports.
23. Bangladesh gained its independence from Pakistan in 1971.
24. One of the largest mangrove forests in the world is located in Bangladesh.
25. The national fruit of the country is Jackfruit.
26. 1970 cyclone was one of the country’s worst national disasters and 500,000 people died.
27. The Sundarbans Delta is the largest river delta in the world.
28. Bangladesh is home to 17 universities.
29. Over 10% of the land is comprised of forests.
30. More than half of Bangladesh’s population is composed of farmers.
31. Cox’s Bazar, located in Bangladesh, is the longest unbroken sea beach in the world.
32. After the 1757 Battle of Plassey, Bengal was the first region of the Indian subcontinent conquered by the British East India Company.
33. The highest peak in Bangladesh is Saka Haphong at 1,052 m.
34. The national day of Bangladesh is celebrated on March 26.
35. The national anthem has been written by Rabindranath Tagore.
36. Bangladesh sits in one of the most disaster-prone areas of the world.
37. The Magpie Robin is the national bird of Bangladesh.
38. Somapura Mahavihara in Paharpur is one of the most important archeological sites in the country.
39. The national flower of Bangladesh is the white-flowered water lily, called Shapla.
40. Ahsan Manzil was the official residential palace of the Dhaka Nawab Family.