With the wide variety of stunning colors, it’s no wonder that so many of us are Betta fish fans. Did you know there are more than 70 species of Betta fish? Learn more interesting facts like this on this of Betta Fish facts.
1. Betta fish are popular for their bright colors and fancy fins.
2. The betta fish got its name from an ancient clan of warriors, called the “Bettah”.
3. The betta was first discovered in Southeast Asia.
4. Betta fishes are intelligent and they can be trained to do tricks.
5. A Wild Betta fish can eat almost anything in their environments, including larvae of mosquitoes, worms or other insects, and even smaller fish.
6. Males Betta fish can live with other fish species.
7. Betta fish require ample space to swim.
8. The preferred water temperature for a betta is 76-82 degrees F.
9. Betta fish are also known as Siamese fighting fish.
10. Betta fish are native to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos.
11. Betta fish are Omnivores.
12. Betta fish are often kept in very small plastic containers.
13. Betta fish are green and dull brown in color.
14. Betta fish can live in water with low oxygen.
15. The Male Betta fish always protects their offspring.
16. The Siamese fighting fish originate from Malaysia, Vietnam Siam and Indonesia.
17. Betta fish found in watery ditches, rice paddies, and slow-moving stream.
18. The technical name for this fighting fish is the “plakat”. It means tearing.
19. There are actually more than 70 species of the Betta fish.
20. The most common and recognized species of the Betta fishes are the Betta Splenden.
21. Betta Splendens are mostly used for fighting and show.
22. The Betta Fish “nest” consist of layers of bubbles.
23. Their average lifespan is 2 to 3 years.
24. The fins of the Betta fish contain nerve cells and even taste buds.
25. Male bettas build bubble nests, especially when they are content in their environment. In the wild this is where the male betta stashes the eggs after they are released by the female.
26. The Male Betta fish can grow as much as 5 inches in length.
27. Betta fish cannot regulate their own body temperatures.
28. The United Nations Environment Programme lists an unconfirmed species, Betta cf. tomi, as having become extinct in Singapore between 1970 and 1994.
29. Betta fish is very aggressive and territorial.
30. Dull-colored fins are the indication that the Betta fish is ill.
31. Bettas love plants, and they’ll sometimes even rest on the leaves.
32. Betta fish have a unique organ called “Labyrinth” that allows them to breathe air from outside of water’s surface.
33. Thailand people bet on “betta fights” to earn money.
34. Most of the species are found in Asian countries.
35. Betta fish belong to the “Gourami” fish species.
36. The winning Betta would go on to fight until it dies.
37. The King of Siam began collecting species of Betta fish because of the popularity of the Siamese Fighting fish.
38. Betta fish have upturned mouths which allow them to catch mosquito larvae and small insects from the floating vegetation.
39. The most common types of Betta fish are plakat betta, crown tail betta, half moon betta, double tail betta, combtail betta and rose tail betta.