Bitcoin is a type of digital currency in which encryption techniques are used to regulate the generation of units of currency and verify the transfer of funds, operating independently from banks. Here is a comprehensive list of interesting Bitcoin Facts, including stats on Coinbase, prices and more.
1. The founder of Bitcoin is “Satoshi Nakamoto”.
2. The maximum number of bitcoins is fixed at 21 million.
3. Bitcoins are held in digital wallets.
4. Bitcoins were introduced as an open source software in January 2009.
5. The smallest unit of bitcoin is a Satoshi.
6. The largest transaction ever made was for 194,993 bitcoin.
7. May 22 is celebrated as Bitcoin Pizza Day.
8. Bitcoin networks have a computing power of 2,046,364 Pflop/s.
9. You can pay for anything with Bitcoin and remain completely anonymous.
10. Around 5% of the Bitcoin economy is active in the online black market.
11. The world’s largest Bitcoin exchange Mt Gox crashed in 2014.
12. You can get bitcoins debit cards.
13. The first big Bitcoin acquisition was worth $11.5 million.
14. Bithumb, the 4th largest Bitcoin exchange was hacked in July 2017.
15. Refunds are impossible for Bitcoin transactions.
16. James Howell lost 7500 Bitcoins by throwing his hard drive which had his Bitcoin wallet.
17. Dell, Microsoft, and Expedia are examples of companies that accept Bitcoins as payment.
18. By playing the Blockchain game, you can earn extra Bitcoins.
19. Bitcoin has VAT exemption on Belgium.
20. There is a baby girl known worldwide as the ‘Bitcoin baby’, her doctor C.Terence Lee accepted his payment through bitcoin.
21. A developer from Florida bought two pizzas for 10,000 Bitcoins on May 22, 2010.
22. Around 1800 Bitcoins are generated from mining every day.
23. Bitcoin reached parity with the US dollar on February 9, 2011, for the first time.
24. There are 5 coins derived from Bitcoin forks: Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin XT, Bitcoin Classic, Bitcoin Unlimited, and Bitcoin Gold.
25. 1% of the Bitcoin community controls the 99% of the wealth in the world.
26. Nakowa once won 11,000 Bitcoins on a gambling site.
27. Bitcoin addresses are a long string of 34 alphanumeric characters.
28. The first recorded purchase using Bitcoin was made for buying Pizza.
29. Genesis Mining, a cloud mining provider, send bitcoin to space in 2016.
30. The FBI has the largest bitcoin wallet in the World.
31. Losing a bitcoin wallet means losing those bitcoins.
32. Bitcoin is illegal in Iceland, Ecuador, Vietnam, Bolivia, Kyrgyzstan, Bangladesh, and Thailand.
33. Bitcoin is accepted to buy a Lamborghini.
34. Bitcoin is the most used currency on the Deep Web.
35. The annual electricity consumption for mining was 23 terawatt.
36. Roger Ver, Charlie Shrem, and Dave Carlson are some of Bitcoin millionaires today.
37. The number of dealers accepting Bitcoins grew from 36,000 to 82,000 in 2014.
38. Bitcoin has surged up 162% in 2017 only.
39. To quickly resolve Ransomware Attacks, US Corporations are buying Bitcoins.
40. Brea Mall in Brea has a Zenbox Bitcoin ATM to get cash.