From the message of truth, peace, humanity, and equality, Buddha taught everyone how to live a happy and peaceful life. To enlighten your mind and soul, explore this list of peaceful Buddha Facts.
1. Originally, Buddha born as a wealthy prince, he left it all behind to pursue the path of truth.
2. There are three major tenants Buddha taught his people, not to be ignorant, hate others or get angry.
3. Buddha was mainly portrayed chubby because it is a symbol of happiness in the east.
4. He spent most of his time walking hundreds of miles spreading the philosophy of enlightenment.
5. Buddhists view Buddha as a teacher and not a god.
6. Young Siddhartha vowed to sit under a fig tree and meditate to achieve enlightenment.
7. After tremendously long meditation and mental battle with Mara, he became woken and then known as the Buddha.
8. The oldest surviving Buddhist manuscripts are the Gandhāran Buddhist texts found in Eastern Afghanistan.
9. Buddha’s teachings were spread by peaceful methods such as word of mouth on prominent stone buildings.
10. He died in Khushinagar in the 483BC.
11. The Buddhacarita is the earliest full biography written by the poet Asvaghosa in the first century CE.
12. After his ride on the countryside, he realized and said a famous saying “Nothing is permanent in the world”.
13. The Buddha was married to Yasodhara.
14. The Buddha had a son named Rahula.
15. The Buddha lived in Nepal during 6th to 4th century BC.
16. Gautama initially went to Rajagaha and began his ascetic life by begging for alms in the street.
17. The Thanboddhay Pagoda in Myanmar has 582,357 Buddha statues.
18. There are seven million Buddhists found outside of Asia.
19. Suicide in Buddhism is seen as propelling away to the valuable chance to create positive karma.
20. In Lao, Thailand, Burma, Sri Lanka and Cambodia the Buddhist New Year is celebrated for three days.
21. The three tallest statues in the world are of Buddha.
22. The tallest outdoor seated bronze Buddha in the World is on Lan Tau Island.
23. The tallest Buddha statue in the World is in Pattaya, Thailand with 130 meters height.
24. The second largest carved statue of Buddha is in Sichuan, China.
25. Buddhist monks are not allowed to kill any animal.
26. Chinese farmers use molds to shape pears into the likeness of Buddhas.
27. China is the country with the largest population of Buddhists.
28. The real name of Buddha was Siddartha Gautama.
29. Gautama Buddha was born in Lumbini.
30. The laughing Buddha is a 10thcentury Chinese folk hero named Budai.
31. The father of Buddha was Suddhodana.
32. The mother of Buddha was Queen Mayadevi.
33. Buddha is the founder of the religion called Buddhism.
34. “Bodh Gaya” is the place where Buddha achieved supreme Enlightenment.
35. Dhamek Stupa in Sarnath is site of the first teaching of the Buddha in which he taught the Four Noble Truths to his first five disciples.
36. There are five precepts of Buddhism: respect for life, respect for others’ property, respect for our pure nature, respect for honesty and respect for a clear mind.
37. Rahula became the youngest monk at the very age of 7.
38. The Golden Buddha, officially titled Phra Phuttha Maha Suwana Patimakon is a gold statue with a weight 5,500 kilograms.
39. Buddha spent 29 years as a prince in Kapilavastu.
40. Hindus believe that Gautama Buddha was an avatar of the god Vishnu.