Castles are beautiful building structures to dream and are wonderful to watch, but too encircled to live in! Here are some interesting Castle Facts that hopefully make you want to visit one.
1. The word castle comes from a Latin word meaning “fortress”.
2. A castle is a type of fortified structure built in Europe and the Middle East during the Middle Ages.
3. Castles played a big role in the social system called Feudalism.
4. Castles were dark and cold, but they offered protection from enemies.
5. The are three main types of castles: The motte and bailey castle, the stone keep castle, and the concentric castle.
6. Every year The Queen takes up official residence in the Windsor Castle for a month.
7. There were no toilets in Castles.
8. Windsor Castle is the Oldest Castle in the world.
9. The Castles were built strictly for Defense purpose.
10. Their stairs are always turned Clockwise.
11. There are around 1500 Castles in England.
12. The drawbridge was invented late in the Medieval-castle era.
13. The Lord and Lady of a Medieval castle lived in quarters referred to as ‘solar chambers’.
14. Most of the Medieval castles had small windows which made the interior dark.
15. The tower of a castle was known as a ‘Donjon’.
16. There are more than 10,000 medieval castles still occupied in Asia and Europe.
17. Some of the most famous medieval castles include the Kasteel de Haar (Netherlands), Tower of London (England), Chateau Gaillard des Andelys (France), Edinburgh Castle (Scotland), Burg Eltz (Germany), and Bran Castle, also known as Dracula’s Castle (Romania), Castel del Monte (Italy), Alcazar de Segovia (Spain) and Veliki Tabor (Croatia).
18. The first castle in England was built by the Normans.
19. The central building inside the castle is the ‘keep’, which was sheltered by towers and walls.
20. Cardiff Castle is one of Wales’ biggest tourist attractions.
21. Windsor Castle and the White Tower are the most famous castles built in England.
22. At the base of the motte was the bailey, which was like a little village.
23. Dungeons were in the basements – it’s where prisoners were kept.
24. Castles could be very damp and cold, especially in the winter and weren’t a very comfortable place to live.
25. A castle’s moat in Czech Republic was first filled with bears in 1707.
26. The Dover Castle is the largest castle in England.
27. Loopholes were small slits in castle walls that allow defenders to gain an advantage.
Source: Media Source