Home of the only pink dolphin and considered the happiest country in the world, Colombia is known for its significant natural resources, and a diverse culture. Learn some interesting facts about Colombia on this list.
1. The official name of Colombia is the Republic of Colombia.
2. The name “Colombia” comes from the last name of the explorer Christopher Columbus.
3. The total area of Colombia is 1,138,910 sq km.
Source: Media Source 4. The total population of Colombia is 47,220,856.
5. Colombia shares a land border with 5 countries:
Brazil, Ecuador, Panama, Venezuela, and Peru. 6.
Spanish is the official language of Colombia.
Source: Media Source 7. Colombia has a coastline on both the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea.
8. Bogota is the capital of Colombia.
9. According to Barometer of Happiness and Hope, Colombia is the happiest country in the world.
Source: Media Source 10. Colombia is one of the cheapest places in the world to learn how to scuba-dive.
11. Arepa is a popular snack in Colombia which is made from cornflour and various fillings.
12. Almost 10% of the
Amazon Rainforest lies in Colombia.
Source: Media Source 13. Colombia shares land borders with 5 countries: Panama,
Peru, Brazil, Ecuador, and Venezuela. 14. Colombia hosts the largest theater festival called Iberoamericana.
15. The currency of Colombia is called the Colombian Peso.
Source: Media Source 16. The traditional national sport of Colombia is called Tejo.
Pablo Escobar drug lord was born in Colombia. 18. Colombia is the third largest exporter of coffee in the world.
Source: Media Source 19. Colombia is the world’s leading producer of Emeralds.
20. The most popular sport in Colombia is
football. 21. Colombia is home to two well-known Colombian musicians, Shakira and Juanes.
Source: Media Source 22. Colombia is one of the world’s largest consumers of fruit juices.
23. Colombia has the world’s fastest-growing information technology industry.
24. Magdalena is the Longest River in Colombia.
Source: Media Source 25. Colombia is also the world’s biggest cocaine producer.
26. With the second largest Spanish-speaking population, Colombia is also known as gateway to South America.
27. One out of every five butterfly species is found in Colombia.
Source: Media Source 28. Colombia got its independence from
Spain in 1813. 29. Colombia has a total of 58 national parks.
30. The Tequendama Falls is the highest waterfall in Colombia.
Source: Media Source
Spain founded Santa Fe de Bogota in 1530. 32. The law requires the National Anthem of Colombia to play on radio and TV each day at 6 a.m. & 6 p.m.
33. A pink
Amazon River dolphin can be found in Colombia.
Source: Media Source 34. Colombia was ruled by the
Spanish for almost three hundred years. 35. The official national drink of Colombia is Aguardiente.
36. The largest bike route in South America is located in Colombia and stretches over 300 kilometers.
Source: Media Source 37. The highest point in Colombia is the Pico Cristobal Colon of the Andes at 18,700 feet tall.
38. Slavery was abolished in Colombia in 1849.
39. Over 4,000 species of Orchids are found in Colombia.
Source: Media Source 40. Changua is a popular breakfast food in Colombia.