Cuba is well-known for its rich cultural heritage and cigars in the world. In this article, we go over several Cuba Facts that will teach you more about their education, average earnings, banned items and much more.
1. Cuba was discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492.
2. In 1886, Slavery was abolished in Cuba.
3. Cuba has over 250 beaches and 200 bays.
4. The game of dominoes is the national game of Cuba.
5. Cuba is listed on the UNESCO World Heritage Site with nine sites.
6. Education is compulsory for children from the ages of 6 to 16.
7. The Latin America Medical School located in Havana is the largest medical school in the world.
8. There are two currencies in Cuba: Cuban Convertible Pesos and Cuban National Pesos.
9. Cuba has one of the best health care systems in the world.
10. Americans still need government authorization in order to visit Cuba.
11. The world’s oldest fish called Manjuari and the smallest bird known as The Bee Hummingbird can be found only in Cuba.
12. Cuba is one of the countries where Coca-Cola is forbidden to sell.
13. Cubans could not buy their own computers until 2008.
14. The country’s total nominal GDP is $68.7 billion which gives it the 63rd largest economy in the world.
15. Almost half of their food comes from a bodega, a government store where Cubans get the food almost for free.
16. Medical care and Education are provided for free by the government in Cuba.
17. In Cuba, service, properties, and goods taxes are equal to zero.
18. Internet access in Cuba is still restricted by the government. It is only allowed to doctors, academics, engineers or government workers to have an Internet connection.
19. Cuba is the largest country in the Caribbean in terms of population.
20. Cuba has a 99.8% literacy rate, which is one of the highest in the world.
21. Cuba’s main export include coffee, fish, medical products and citrus fruits.
22. The Bolero, Mambo and Cha Cha dance form was invented in this country.
23. Cubans burn dolls on New Year’s Eve in order to symbolize forgetting bad times and looking forward to good times.
24. Christmas was not an official holiday in Cuba until 1997.
25. It is illegal to take photos of military personnel, police officers, or airport personnel in Cuba.
26. Cuba has the highest doctor to patient ratio in the entire world.
27. There are around twenty newspapers published in Cuba on a daily basis.
28. Sexual reassignment surgeries were made legal in Cuba in 2007.
29. Cuba is the first Communist country in the Western Hemisphere.
30. Cubans were not allowed to own a mobile phone until 2008.
31. Cuba is the 16th most populous island in the world.
32. Cuba gained its independence from the United States in 1902.
33. Baseball is the most popular sport in the country.
34. A prehistoric fish called Manger is only found in Cuba.
35. There are over 250 museums in Cuba.
36. Cuba is known for its cigars, which are thought to be the finest in the world.
37. The communist party is the only legal party in the country.
38. Cuba is one of the first countries to ban the sale of incandescent lighting.