The deep web is usually described as a dark, secretive and dangerous place. But just what is it and what is the truth behind it? should it be banned? Find more in these facts about The Deep Web.
1. The Deep Web is “Web Content” that’s hidden.
2. The Deep Web is the largest increasing category of information on the Web.
3. The Deep Web contains nearly 550 billion individual documents.
4. 95% of the Deep Web is publicly accessible information.
5. More than half of the Deep Web content resides in topic-specific databases.
6. Satoshi Nakamoto was the inventor of the Bitcoin protocol which people relate to the deep web.
7. The Deep Web & Darknet are two different concepts.
8. The size of the Deep Web is 500 times larger than the Surface Web.
9. You need the TOR browser to access the Deep Web.
10. Search engines can only access 16% of the available information.
11. The currency used on the deep web is called Bitcoin.
12. On Deep Web, there are so many unsafe chat rooms that present disturbing texts.
13. You can also purchase organic weed from the Netherlands at Deep Web.
14. Over 30,000 websites are hacked every day on Deep Web.
15. There are people on Deep Web who sell credit cards details for pennies.
16. According to a study conducted by the University of Portsmouth, UK, 80% of web traffic on the Deep Web relates to child pornography.
17. Silk Road was one of the most successful deep-web platforms were made for selling and buying everything.
18. The Deep-Web is growing faster compared to the surface web.
19. Deep Web is also called as Invisible Web & Under-net.
20. There are four stages of the internet: the Deep Web, the Surface Web, the Dark Web and the Mariana Web.
21. The Deep Web contains 7.500 terabytes of information.
22. The core principle of Tor “onion routing” was developed by a non-profit group called the Tor Project.
23. The major tool for accessing hidden .onion websites was initially funded by the US government.
24. $1.2 million was spent on the Tor project in 2012.
25. There are numerous markets on the Deep Web for diverse kinds of services and “goods”. You can hire hit men, serums, poisons, banned books, etc.
26. There are forums and sites on Deep Web which actually teach you how to “chat with the dead”.
27. A hitman’s price list on The Deep Web states: “Ordinary person – 20.000 euro” and “High-rank Govt. official – 100.000 euro”.
28. The government doesn’t want to shut down the Deep Web because it would be too time-consuming.
29. It has a thriving economic system.
30. At Deep Web, you can even buy child spirits from abortions and miscarriages.
31. Just with a click, you can now do all kinds of match-fixing and illegal betting.
32. The Deep Web is a great source of illegal smuggling of drugs, weapons, human trafficking etc.
33. When you use TOR to access the Deep Web you become completely anonymous.
34. Without using TOR rules, downloading or uploading any document, giving your personal details and online chatting etc can compromise your identity.
35. Deep Web offers a control infrastructure and command for malware due to the hidden nature of websites and services like TOR.