The Dominican Republic is an island in the Caribbean with astonishing natural formations, a miscellaneous culture, historical landmarks and modern accommodations that overall depicts the beauty of life. Learn more about this beautiful island with these 40 interesting Dominican Republic facts.
1. The Dominican Republic was founded by Christopher Columbus.
2. In the Caribbean Sea, Dominican Republic is a largely mountainous country.
3. The Dominican Republic shares a single border from Haiti to the west.
4. The Dominican Republic occupies an area of 18,704 square miles.
5. The Dominican Republic is the second largest country in the West Indies.
6. The total population of Dominican Republic’s is around 10,786,486.
7. Santo Domingo is the capital city of the Dominican Republic.
8. The average life expectancy in the Dominican Republic is 69 years.
9. Baseball is the national sport of the Dominican Republic.
10. Dominican Peso is their official currency.
11. The official language of the Dominican Republic is Spanish.
12. 809 is international dialing code for the Dominican Republic.
13. The Dominican Republic is also well-known in the world for its golf courses.
14. The traditional dish of the Dominican Republic is the “Dominican flag” which consists of rice, beans, and steak.
15. The Dominican Republic is one of the top ten manufacturers of cocoa in the world.
16. Approximately 6 million tourists visited the Dominican Republic in 2016.
17. Merengue is the official dance of the Dominican Republic.
18. Punta Cana International Airport is the busiest airport in the Dominican Republic.
19. The national anthem of the Dominican Republic is called “Himno Nacional”.
20. A famous fashion designer Oscar de la Renta was from the Dominican Republic.
21. The Dominican Republic has more restaurants compared to than any other Caribbean island.
22. The Dominican Republic is the only country to have a Bible on their national flag.
23. Over 306 bird species have been identified to make the Dominican Republic one of the best birding countries in the region.
24. Humpback whales come between December to March every year for mating on the Bay of Samana.
25.The Dominican Republic is the most visited destination in the Caribbean.
26. The official independence day of the Dominican Republic is on February 27, 1844.
27. Voting is not allowable by the national police and the armed forces.
28. Sugar processing is one of the main industries in the Dominican Republic.
29. People of the Dominican Republic mostly live in joint families.
30. Pico Duarte is the highest point in the Dominican Republic.
31. The Dominican Republic has more Blue Flag beaches than any other Caribbean island.
32. The island was known as Hispaniola before the formation of the Dominican Republic and Haiti.
33. The Dominican Republic is the most popular destination for honeymoons and weddings.
34. The climate of Dominican Republic is also known as an “endless summer.” Because it country experiences warm and sunny conditions in most parts of the year.
35. The Palmchat is the national bird of the Dominican Republic which prefers settling in palm plantations.
36. Lago Enriquillo is the world’s largest salt lake with species of the American crocodile.
37. “The Colonial City of Santo Domingo” was declared World Heritage Site in 1990.
38. A popular singer “Juan Luis Guerra” was born in Santo Domingo.
39. Dominicans are the main exporter of tobacco in the world.
40. Even in cases of serious health problems of pregnant women and rape, abortion is banned in the country.