By now you were probably searching for dreams information as you keep having them and you wanted to dig in to understand them a little better… Questions like, why do we dream? Can we control them? Are usually common questions we ask ourselves. Learn this and more interesting dream facts on this list.
1. Human beings spend around six years of their lifetime dreaming.
2. The Egyptians were the first to produce a dream dictionary in 4000 B.C.E.
3. Sometimes we dream outside of our Rapid Eye Movement sleep.
4. Humans tend to have around 3 to 7 dreams a night.
5. People who quit smoking and alcohol experience heavier dreams and nightmares.
6. It is impossible to dream when we are snoring.
7. Toddlers don’t dream until they reach the age of three.
8. Blind people can also dream.
9. Nightmares happen more to kids than adults.
10. The colder your house is, the worse your dreams are.
11. According to Plato, the liver was the organ where dreams were created from.
12. William Shakespeare used his dreams to make new characters for his stories.
13. Dreams keep us psychologically healthy and avoid Psychosis.
14. Many inventions such as the periodic table, Google, and the sewing machine were inspired by the dreams.
15. A person can only control his dreams after learning about the phenomenon of “lucid dreaming”.
16. Brushing your teeth is one of the rarest dreams.
17. After waking up, almost 90% of the dreams are lost.
18. The scientific study of dreams is known as Oneirology.
19. In ancient Greece, dreams were regarded as messages from the Gods.
20. “Old Hag Syndrome or Sleep Paralysis” occurs in as many as 40% of all people.
21. The Iroquois have an annual dream-sharing festival in which they act out their dreams.
22. Belladonna was a drug used to induce dreams by the ancient oracles of Delphi.
23. Dreams of being nude are common throughout the world.
24. Pregnant women remember dreams more than others because of hormonal changes.
25. Just like men, women can have orgasms during dreams.
26. Anxiety is the number-one emotion reported in dreams.
27. You cannot read or tell the time in your dreams.
28. Seventy percent of characters in men’s dreams are men.
29. Tesla invented an alternating current generator after dreaming about it.
30. James Watson discovered the DNA’s double helix spiral form inspired by what he saw in his dreams.
31. There is a dream drug known as Dimethyltryptamine and it helps you dream whenever you want, wherever you are, even during the day.
32. All the faces you see in your dreams are faces you’ve seen before, consciously or subconsciously.
33. Studies suggest that men’s dreams are more aggressive than women’s.
34. Your brain is constantly working even when you’re dreaming.
35. The number of dreams a person has depends on the number of their Rapid Eye Movement cycles (a sleep stage).
36. There is a sleep artist named Lee Hadwin, he creates magnificent drawings as he sleeps and doesn’t remember creating them at all.
37. The Native American culture believes in woven webs called dreamcatchers. These are used to prevent nightmares and evil spirits.
38. Wakeful dreaming is different from daydreaming and lucid dreaming.
39. Depression can cause you to dream up to three to four times more than normal.
40. Morphine is named after “Morpheus”, the Greek god of dreams.