From beautiful scenery, tremendous biodiversity, native cultures, and being the biggest exporter of bananas in the world, Ecuador is a really interesting country to learn more about. Check our list of 40 Ecuador Facts and find out why is this country so diverse and important.
1. Ecuador is considered the most bio-diverse country in the world.
2. The country’s national flower is the rose.
3. Ecuador has four World Heritage sites: City of Quito, Galapagos Islands, Sangay National Park and the City of Cuenca.
4. The Population of Ecuador is around 16,620,000.
5. The citizens of Ecuador are known as Ecuadorian.
6. The official currency of Ecuador is the US Dollar.
7. Quito and Guayaquil are the two international airports of Ecuador.
8. Spanish is the official language in Ecuador.
9. Ecuador has around 1,638 bird species.
10. The total area of Ecuador is 109,483 square miles.
11. Quito is the capital of Ecuador.
12. Ecuador is the world’s largest exporter of bananas.
13. Ecuador is a major exporter of oil, flowers, cocoa, bananas, shrimp, rice, cotton and coffee.
14. Ecuador has 24 provinces, including the province of Galapagos.
15. Guayaquil is Ecuador’s largest city.
16. Ecuador was the first nation to ever declare that nature has constitutional rights.
17. Ecuadorians have a life expectancy of 75.6 years.
18. Ecuador is home to the endangered Pinocchio Lizard.
19. The world’s very first and second UNESCO World Heritage Sites are in Ecuador.
20. Ecuador is one of only two South American countries that do not share a border with Brazil.
21. Ecuador’s Healthcare System is ranked 20th in the world for quality.
22. Ecuador is the closest country on earth to outer space.
23. Ecuador’s Cotopaxi is the highest active volcano in the world.
24. Voting is compulsory for all citizens between the ages of 18 and 65.
25. Ecuador was the first country in the history of the world to eliminate the death penalty.
26. The cinchona tree is Ecuador’s national tree.
27. The famous Panama hat is actually made in Ecuador.
28. There are more than 25,000 plant species growing in Ecuador.
29. Ecuador is currently placed in the 96th position of innovation in technology.
30. 40% of the adults in Ecuador don’t have access to a bank account.
31. Ecuador has a total nominal GDP of $80.9 billion, which is the 64th highest in the world.
32. Ecuador has the 8th largest economy in Latin America.
33. There are more mobile phones than people in Ecuador.
34. Ecuador gained its independence from Spain in 1822 after 300 years of Spanish rule.
35. Lunch is the largest meal of the day in Ecuador. The average restaurant will have lunch specials for $2 and $3 USD dollars every day.
36. One of the first drugs that were found to treat malaria came from Ecuador.