If you enjoy fishing and like to spend time on this interesting hobby and sport, then you might get a chuckle after reading this article. We went ahead and covered a list of the most interesting fishing facts for you to enjoy.
1. Fishing is the activity of trying to catch fishes using different automated and traditional techniques.
2. An angler is a person who fishes with a rod and line.
3. One million Americans spend an average of 17 days fishing.
4. Anglers spent a total of $15.5 billion dollars on fishing in 2011.
5. An average angler spends $1,261 on fishing each year.
6. Anglers spend almost $300 million a year just on ice to preserve fishes longer.
7. Anglers spend more than $1 billion a year on bait alone.
8. The fun thing about sports fishing is that mostly, the caught fish is thrown back into the water.
9. Total Fishing expenditures per year is $42.2 billion.
10. More than 44 million Americans enjoy fishing every year.
11. Techniques for catching fish include hand gathering, spearing, nesting, angling and trapping.
12. India is second largest producer of fish worldwide.
13. There are 27,000 living species of fish worldwide, out of which 6,000 species are found in Australian waters alone.
14. Fishing with spinning outfits and fly rods are the most popular.
15. The act of fishing can be divided into two categories: Sports fishing and commercial fishing.
16. Many people pursue fishing as sports.
17. Fly fishing, a method of fishing, was invented around 200 CE.
18. There are 21 million fishermen and almost 200 million people depend on fishing to survive.
19. China has the world’s largest fishing industry.
20. Fly fishing is the most popular style of fishing.
21. The hungrier the fish the easier is to catch.
22. The most common bait fishing rig is a number 8 or 10 hook tied to 4 lb.
23. In Fishing, two types of trolling are employed: flatline and down rigger.
24. Unfortunately, many sea birds are also killed during fishing.
25. Drift Gill Netting is one of the most destructive methods of fishing.
26. Fishing is most popular outdoor activities in the U.S. from 2009 to 2016.
27. Trawling is one of the most common methods of commercial fishing in the world.
28. Australia has a large commercial fishing fleet.
29. The number of people fishing and practising aquaculture worldwide has doubled since 1970.
30. Asia is the base for the fish industry since 1980s.
31. Around 24,000 people engaged in fishing, fish farming and processing are killed at work every year.
32. The world’s fishing industry spends $124 billion every year to produce $70 billion worth of fish.
33. The world’s biggest consumers of fish is Japan and the United States.
34. In line fishing, the fish can be attracted by a natural or artificial bait to catch and hold the fish.
35. China is the leading country in terms of fishing.