Considered the world’s largest democracy with 1.2 billion people (roughly one-sixth of the world’s population), also the home of the India’s Kumbh Mela Festival, the world’s biggest gathering of humans, India is one stunning country to learn more about. Learn more India facts in this detailed list of this amazing country.
1. The name of India is derived from the river “Indus”.
2. After United States & China, India has the third largest active army.
3. The gathering of Kumbh Mela is so massive that is visible from the space.
4. India has 300,000 mosques which are more than any Islamic nation.
5. India is the second largest English-speaking country in the world.
6. In 1980, the first satellite of India was transported on a bullock cart for testing.
7. Kerela is the highest liquor consuming State in India.
8. There is only 3% of Indians who pay their income tax.
9. Taj Mahal is a world famous heritage sites located in Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India. It tops the list of 7 wonders.
10. After the United States and the UK, India is the third in terms of records claimed in Guinness Book of World Records.
11. India is the world’s major importer of arms.
12. Chess is one of the oldest games and was invented in India before the 6th century AD.
13. India has never attacked any country.
14. The Biggest Air Evacuation in the History of Mankind Was Done by India.
15. Chai (Tea) is the national drink of India.
16. There are 1.2 million tons of mangos grow in India every year.
17. India has the largest population of vegetarian people.
18. Only for India, KFC had to introduce a “vegetarian” menu.
19. The first floating post office in India was inaugurated in 2011.
17. India has the second largest Road network in the world.
21. Chail cricket ground is the world’s highest cricket ground. Is located at an altitude of 2,444 meters (8,018 ft)
22. The shampoo is the world famous invention of India.
23. Since the start of the Kabaddi World Cup, India has won all World Cups.
24. Langar at the Golden Temple Amritsar feeds up to 100,000 people a day for free.
25. Aryabhatta was an Indian who invented number 0.
26. India is the world’s largest manufacturer of milk.
27. The IPL is the most-attended cricket league in the world and ranks sixth among all sports leagues.
28. Around 100 million years ago, India was an island.
29. Taj Mahal was covered with a huge scaffold during WW2 to make it look like a stockpile of Bamboo and misguide any enemy bombers.
30. The Bailey Bridge is the highest bridge in the world. It is located in the Ladakh Valley, India.
31. Diamonds were first discovered and mined in India.
32. The microprocessor Pentium Chip was invented by an Indian named “Vinod Dham”.
33. World’s first and oldest university was established in India named “Takshashila”.
34. World’s 70% of spices are produced in India.
35. The world’s second largest airport is the Indira Gandhi International airport in Delhi.
36. Maysynram, located in Meghalaya India, records the highest rainfall on the Earth.
37. The number of births in India every year is more than the total population of Australia and many other nations.
38. Oscar-winning Hollywood legend, Sir Ben Kingsley and the legendary vocalist of Queen, Freddie Mercury are both of Indian descent.
39. Plastic surgery had his roots more than 4000 years old in India.
40. It’s illegal for foreigners to take Indian currency (rupees) out of India.