Even though Islam is the second-largest religion in the world and more than 1 billion people practice this religion, many of us really do not know much about it. We gathered a list of Islam Facts to poke into your curiosity.
1. Islam in Arabic means “peace,” “security,” and “surrender.”
2. The Islam’s religion began in Arabia.
3. Islam is the world’s fastest-growing religion.
4. The prophet Muhammad is the founder of the Islam.
5. Islam is the 2nd largest religion in the world after Christianity.
6. Muslims follow the Islam religion.
7. ‘Allah’ is the Arabic word for God.
8. The holy book of Islam is called Quran.
9. Indonesia has the largest number of Muslims in the world.
10. The buildings used to worship the Islam’s religion are called Mosques.
11. Islam’s root word is ‘Salam’, which means ‘peace’.
12. Islam’s practice focuses on five pillars Shahada, Salat, Zakat, Sawn, and Haj.
13. The Quran has 114 chapters.
14. There are an estimated 1.6 billion muslims in the world.
15. Muslims use only the right hand to eat and drink.
16. There is a Barbie-like Islamic doll called “Fulla”.
17. Islam allows abortion if there is a threat to the woman’s life.
18. A Burkini is a type of swimsuit designed for Muslim women.
19. In the Islam’s religion, a man can divorce his wife three times.
20. The Islam religion started in 622 AD.
21. Suicide is a crime in Islam.
22. Algebra, from the Arabic al-jabr, originated in the Islamic world.
23. The world’s first PC virus, Brain.a, was created in September, 1986, by two Islamic brothers Amjad Farooq Alvi and Basit Farooq Alvi.
24. About 2.5 million pilgrims visit Mecca each year.
25. Fifteen percent of all Muslims are Arab.
26. Six of the eight countries affected by the ten most deadly earthquakes in the last 50 years, were populated by a Muslim majority including Indonesia, Turkmenistan, Pakistan, Iran, Turkey and Tajikistan.
27. Eight of the ten countries with the highest obesity rates among women are Muslim majorities.
28. The Islamic empire once stretched into modern-day Europe, particularly in Spain and the Balkans. Today, there are an estimated 12–20 million Muslims in Europe.
29. The pre-Islamic period in Arabia is commonly called Jahiliyyah, which means “The days of ignorance.”
30. Zaid RadiAllahu Anhu is the only Sahabi whose name is mentioned in the Quran.
31. Abdullah Ibn Masood RA. was the first Muslim to read the Quran publicly near the Kaaba in Makkah, after the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Waa Sallam.
32. Ibn al-Haitham invented the first pin-hole camera after observing light entering a hole in the shutters.
33. Muslims celebrate two great Islamic holidays. The first is Eid al-Fitr and the second is the Eid al-Adha.
34. 86% of people surveyed in Egypt are in favor of the death penalty as a punishment for abandoning Islam.
35. Islamic law divides food and other products into three different types, Halal, Makruh, and Haram.
36. The Islamic year is 11 days shorter than the year used in the Western world.
37. Muslim men are allowed to marry Christian or Jewish women.
38. Pope John Paul II prayed in a mosque and kissed the Qur’an to improve relations with Islam in 2011.