Kissing is a way to show love to your loved one but there are surprising facts about kissing that will make you think twice next time you kiss. Take a look at this list of 40 kissing facts.
1. The word was derived from the old English word ‘Cyssan’ which means to kiss.
2. Researchers have found that kissing can improve our immune system.
3. A mother’s kiss helps her baby to grow faster.
4. A kiss is called ‘Saviolum’, a kiss on the closed mouth is called ‘Osculum’, kiss on the cheek or hand is called ‘Osculum’.
5. When your lips touch someone else’s, 5 out of 12 of your cranial nerves are engaged.
6. Laksana & Ekkachai Tiranarat is a Thai couple who held a kissing record for 58 hours, 35 minutes and 58 seconds.
7. The muscle you use to pucker your lips is called the “Orbicularis Oris”.
8. When you kiss someone your heart beats faster and more oxygen reaches your brain.
9. Kiss makes our pupils dilate that is why we usually close our eyes while kissing.
10. The science of kissing is called Philematology.
11. One kiss requires 146 muscles to coordinate, including 34 facial muscles and 112 postural muscles.
12. When two people kiss, they exchange between 10 million to 1 billion bacteria.
13. A passionate kiss can burn 6.4 calories a minute.
14. The expectation of a kiss increases the flow of saliva to the mouth, giving the teeth a plaque-dispersing bath.
15. Kissing helps you to prevent wrinkles.
16. Two-third of the people tip their head to the right when they kiss.
17. The film with the most number of kisses ever recorded is Don Juan in which John Barrymore and Mary share 127 kisses.
18. The film with the longest kiss is Andy Warhol’s film, Kiss.
19. In 1930 the Hays Code banned Hollywood actors from kissing in a horizontal position and limited the duration of a kiss to no longer than 3 seconds.
20. A man is forbidden to kiss a woman while she’s asleep in the Colorado’s Logan County.
21. July 6th is the international kissing day.
22. Like human fingerprints, no two lip impressions are the same.
23. The first time two men kissed on-screen was in 1927.
24. Kissing helps to reduce the levels of stress hormone cortisol, making you feel all safe and secure.
25. It is illegal to kiss with a mustache in Nevada.
26. Mononucleosis and Herpes are diseases that can be transmitted through kissing.
27. It is a proper etiquette to greet friends and family by kissing them on both cheeks in Europe.
28. Couples transfer an average of 9 milligrams of water, 0.7 milligrams of protein, 0.18 milligrams of organic matter, 0.71 milligrams of fat and 0.45 milligrams of salt to each other with each open-mouthed kiss.
29. Public kissing is a crime in Indonesia and may be punishable by five years in prison.
30. Dogs are the most kissable pet.
31. 43% of people prefer to kiss their pet rather than their family or friends.