Left Handed Facts – 35 Surprising Facts About Left-Handed People
Left-handedness is a condition in which a person is more comfortable using the left hand for actions that are normally done by the right hand. Less commonly seen, people with left-handedness are believed to be more skillful. Find out more about other left-handed facts in the list below.
1. Approximately 12% of the world population are left-handed, led by the Netherlands.
2. Those who are left-handed are more prone to ailments like allergies and migraines.
3. Left-handers are nicknamed “SouthPaws”.
4. Most of those who are left handed are insomniacs.
5. Left handed people tend to use the right side of their brain more.
6. Lefties are highly smart and some of the most popular inventors were left-handed like Isaac Newton and Benjamin Franklin.
7. The word left in English comes from the Anglo-Saxon word lyft, which means weak or broken.
8. Those who use their left–hand more are likely to be inclined towards alcohol due to low tolerance level to the right side of the brain.
9. There are more left-handed men than women in the world.
10. Multitasking comes naturally to people who are left handed.
11. Left-handed people usually face sexual orientation.
12. Left handed people tend to attain puberty later than right handed people.
13. Lefties are very good artists and mostly follow creative careers.
14. At least four of the most popular Presidents of the United States were left–handed.
15. International Left Hander’s Day is celebrated on August 13th.
16. Left handed people need to cut their nails frequently, as their nails on the left hand grow faster.
17. According to tradition, an itchy left hand indicates you will lose money. An itchy right hand indicates you will receive money.
18. in the majority of sports, people who are good at tennis, swimming, baseball, boxing, and fencing are found to be left-handed.
19. Their intelligence is found to be polarized, and are dyslexic or suffering from stuttering.
20. People who are left-handed, get embarrassed and angry faster than others at the slightest trigger.
21. Left-handed kids have not performed as well as right handed kids in school.
22. Mental disorders are seen to be common among left-handed people.
23. Studies have shown that lefties suffer from periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) a sleeping problem.
24. People with left handedness, have lesser risks related to ailments like ulcers and arthritis.
25. Left-handedness is found to be more common in twins, in fact twice as common.
26. Forty plus aged mothers are more likely to give birth to left-handed babies.
27. Almost 26% of the college graduates who are left-handed grow richer than the right-handed counterparts.
28. According to research, Autistic people are more likely to be left-handed.
29. Left-handedness is hereditary and a perfect example is the British Royal Family where Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and Prince William are all left handed.
30. Some well-known perpetrators of crimes were left handed like Jack the Ripper, The Boston Strangler and Osama Bin Laden.
31. Premature babies are more likely to be left-handed.
32. Left-handed people have a greater sense of hearing.
33. Lefties have proved to be good fighters.
34. The Bible mentions the right hand almost 100 times positively and the left hand only about 25 times and all of it negatively.
35. The life span of lefties is supposed to be shorter than their right–handed counterparts.