Lemon is an essential food in the kitchen and it is favorite all over the world for its sour taste. But do you know what is the heaviest lemon ever grown in the world? Read on and learn a range of interesting Lemon Facts.
1. The name Lemon is derived from an Asian word for “sour fruit”.
2. Lemons are technically berries.
3. Lemons are a hybrid between a sour orange and a citron.
4. Attaching electrodes to a lemon using a battery generates electricity.
5. Lemons are rich in vitamin C.
6. Lemons trees can produce up to 600lbs of lemons every year.
7. Lemons were introduced to Persia and then Iraq and Egypt around 700 AD.
8. The lemon was first recorded in literature in the 10th century.
9. The Eureka lemon was first produced in California and has an oval or oblong shape.
10. Eureka lemons are available during the late winter and early spring months.
11. The first substantial cultivation of lemons began in Genoa(Europe).
12. In 1849, during the California Gold Rush, miners were willing to pay huge amounts of money for a single lemon.
13. Lemon trees produce fruit all year round.
14. Arizona and California produce most of the United States’ lemon crop.
15. Lemon-tree leaves can be used to make tea.
16. Women used lemon juice to redden their lips during the Renaissance.
17. Lemons were the primary commercial source of citric acid before the development of fermentation-based processes.
18. In Morocco, lemons are preserved in jars or barrels of salt.
19. The most common types of lemons are the Eureka, Meyer, and Lisbon lemons.
20. Lemon zest, grated rinds, is often used in baking.
21. Eureka lemons are very high in vitamin C, which protects against various diseases and contributes to a strong immune system.