Mars is an extraordinary planet with mountains, pits, and caves like Earth. Through endless innovations in technology, we have learned a lot about this red planet. Find out 40 really interesting facts about Mars that you probably would’ve never guessed.
1. Mars is also known as the Red Planet.
2. The color of Mars is blood-red.
3. Mars is the fourth planet distanced from the Sun.
4. Galileo Galilei was the first scientist who discovered Mars.
5. The distance of Mars from the Sun is 227.9 million km.
6. The diameter of the Mars is 6,779 km.
7. Mars is less dense than the Earth.
8. Mars is the 2nd most hospitable planet in our solar system.
9. Mars’s core is surrounded by a silicate mantle.
10. Mars and Earth have approximately the same landmass.
11. Like Earth, Mars has seasons and similar rotational patterns.
12. Phobos & Deimos are the names of the two moons of Mars.
13. The surface temperature of Mars -153 to 20 °C
14. There have been around 40 missions to Mars, only 18 missions have been successful.
15. Mars has “Olympus Mons”, the tallest mountain in the solar system.
16. Out of 51, only 21 missions to Mars have been successful.
17. It would take around six Mars to fill the surface of the Earth.
18. The USA made the first successful mission to Mars in 1964.
19. It would cost nearly US$18,000 to post a letter to Mars.
20. Mars has less surface gravity as compared to Earth.
21. Mars has the biggest dust storms which last for months and covers the entire planet.
22. Mars had an ocean which covered 19% of its surface.
23. A year on Mars is 687 days and a day lasts 40 minutes more than one on Earth.
24. Mars’s soil is mainly fertile for growing asparagus.
25. On Mars the Sun appears about half the size as it does on Earth.
26. Mars takes its name from the Roman god of war.
27. The Sunset is blue On Mars.
28. Mars is much colder than Earth.
29. Mars is one of the brightest planets.
30. The diameter of Mars is about 53% of Earth’s, making it the second smallest planet in the solar system.
31. A year on Mars is 687 days but a day on the Red Planet only lasts 40 minutes more than one on Earth.
32. Mars consists exclusively of carbon dioxide.
33. Mars had water in the ancient past.
34. In 2003, Mars made its closest approach to Earth in nearly 60,000 years, coming within 34.8 million miles of our planet.
35. Mars has all four seasons.
36. Mars is populated by seven Robots.
37. The NASA’s Curiosity Rover sang the “Happy Birthday” on its one-year anniversary on Mars.
38. Over 100,000 people have applied for a trip to Mars.
39. Pieces Of Mars had fallen on Earth because of low gravity.
40. Mars has also both North and South polar ice caps.