Tasty and juicy oranges are also called sweet oranges, they belong to a large citrus species known as Citrus × sinensis. Apart from that, Oranges are a very good source of thiamine, fiber, vitamin C and folate. To know more, read these Interesting 40 Orange Facts.
1. The word orange comes from the Arabic word Naranj.
2. Orange is the hybrid of pomelo and mandarin.
3. The sour orange was introduced to the Mediterranean region by the Arabs about the 10th century.
4. The bergamot orange is mainly grown as a resource of oils for flavoring and cosmetics.
5. About 20 percent of the total crop of oranges is sold as whole fruit and the rest is used in preparing preserves, orange juice, and extracts.
6. A fully grown orange tree can reach up to 30 feet in height.
7. There are two basic categories of orange: the sweet orange (C. sinensis) and the bitter orange (C. aurantium).
8. Sweet oranges are consumed and the most popular ones are Valencia, naval and Jaffa oranges.
9. The Washington Navel Orange tree that helped start the California citrus industry is still standing and producing fruit.
10. Navel oranges get their name from the belly-button formation opposite the stem end.
11. Travelers used to carry oranges to prevent scurvy, a disease that develops due to deficiency of vitamin C.
12. Oranges help lower the risk of ischemic stroke in women according to the American Heart Association.
13. Oranges contain a good amount of Vitamin A and antioxidants.
14. After the Second World War, orange juice concentrate became available in America.
15. Oranges also contain minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, copper, Folate, etc.
16. Oranges have a good amount of citric and citrates that help prevent kidney stone formation.
17. Valencia oranges are the most widely planted variety of oranges.
18. The fiber provided by one medium size orange is equivalent to the fiber provided 7 cups of cornflakes.
19. Orange is the world’s favorite flavor after Chocolate and vanilla.
20. Christopher Columbus has brought the orange to America in 1493.
21. There are around 10 segments in an orange.
22. China is the place where the first orange trees were grown.
23. There are more than 600 varieties of oranges.
24. Orange juice is the most popular juice in America.
25. Orange blossoms and oranges are a symbol of love.
26. There are more than 35,000,000 orange trees in Spain.
27. Orange was used as the name of the color in 1542.
28. The white orange blossom is the state flower of Florida.
29. Oranges are the largest citrus crop in the World.
30. The flowers of an orange tree are white in color and have a wonderful fragrance.
31. Petals of the flowers are used for the production of the orange flower water.