Wonderfully delicious and juicy – Plum is the favorite fruit of the fruit lovers. The Plum has many other hidden properties and facts that differentiate this wonderful fruit from others. With these 40 Interesting Plum Facts, learn all about history, health benefits, and much more.
1. The name ‘Plum’ derived from the Old English plume which was extended from the Latin Language.
2. Plums belong to the genus Prunus.
3. Plum trees are grown on every continent except Antarctica.
4. Plum is most commonly grown in temperate zones.
5. The average lifespan for plum trees is 10 to 15 years.
6. The Japanese variety of Plum is known as umeboshi and it is sometimes used for rice balls, called omusubi.
7. Plums are low in protein, calories, and fats.
8. Plums are an excellent source of vitamin C.
9. Plums are beneficial for preventing brain cell breakdown due to their higher level of anthocyanin and quercetin.
10. Plum’s taste ranges from sweet to tart.
11. We can cook Plum as jam or compote, or can be baked in a variety of pastries.
12. In the Balkans, plum is converted into an alcoholic drink named slivovitz.
13. Plum liquor is also famous as “plum wine”, it is mainly popular in Japan and Korea.
14. Prune Plum is one of the varieties of plum that can be dried without fermentation due to its high sugar contents.
15. China is the world’s leading producer of plums.
16. The third most produced plum in the world is Serbian plum.