From being the number one consumers of fish and shellfish and having the biggest wave ever surfed, the country of Portugal and this list of interesting facts about Portugal will keep you entertained.
1. Portugal was founded in 1128, makes it one of the oldest country in Europe.
2. Portugal is also known as the “country of tiles”.
3. The official name of Portugal is the Portuguese Republic.
4. Portugal is named after its second largest city, Porto.
5. Portugal is the world’s seventeen safest country.
6. The pre-paid mobile phone card and green lane toll pay system are Portuguese inventions.
7. Portuguese is the national language of Portugal.
8. The University of Coimbra in Lisbon is the oldest university in the world located.
9. The world record for the largest Santa Claus parade was held by Portugal.
10. The largest community of Portuguese outside Portugal is in Paris.
11. Portuguese is the 6th most spoken language in the world.
12. Portugal is the world leader in the production of renewable energy.
13. In Portugal, there are fifteen UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
14. The Vasco da Gama bridge in Lisbon is the longest bridge in Europe.
15. Portugal is home to one of the most advanced ATM systems in the world.
16. Pepper, Chili, tomatoes, and potatoes were familiarized by the Portuguese to India.
17. Women in Portugal live longer than men.
18. Portugal’s national drink is Port (Portuguese wine).
19. The world record for the largest omelet belongs to Portugal.
20. The Portuguese are the number one consumers of fish and shellfish.
21. Fado is Portugal’s national music.
22. Football is the most popular sport in Portugal.
23. Same-sex marriage was legalized in Portugal on May 31, 2010.
24. In 1761, Portugal became the first colonial power to abolish slavery.
25. The Bertrand bookshop, located in Lisbon is the oldest operating bookshop.
26. Christiano Ronaldo, a world-famous footballer, was born in Santo Antonio, Portugal in 1985.
27. Vasco da Gama, a Portuguese explorer, was the first European to reach India by sea.
28. Portuguese is the official language of eight other countries outside of Portugal.
29. Portugal became the founding member of NATO and an EU member in 1986.
30. The capital city of Portugal is ‘Lisbon’.
31. The total area of Portugal is 92,090 sq km.
32. The official currency of Portugal is the Euro.
33. Portugal has the world’s largest dining table set.
34. Portugal is the largest cork producer in the world.
35. Portugal became the first country to have fingerprints on identity cards in 2008.
36. Lisbon was struck by one of the most powerful earthquakes in European history in 1755.
37. The Portuguese invented the Piri-Piri sauce.
38. It is illegal to urinate in the ocean in Portugal.
39. The Tagus is the longest river on the Iberian Peninsula. It is 1,007 km long.
40. The biggest wave ever surfed was in Portugal in February 2011.