From being the leading oil producer in the world, the largest country in terms of area and having 9 different time zones, Russia is definitely a country that will blow your mind. Learn more interesting facts about Russia in this list we’ve gathered for you.
1. 77% of Russia is made up of Siberia.
2. Lake Baikal is the oldest and deepest lake in the world located in Russia.
3 . Russians consume 18 liters of alcohol per person per year.
4. In Russia, it is illegal to tell kids about gay people.
5. In 1700, a Russian woman gave birth to 16 pairs of twins.
6. Russia and Japan have been unable to sign a peace treaty to end World War II because of the Kuril Islands dispute.
7. Russian is the official language of Russia.
8. The word “vodka” derived from the Russian word “voda” which means “water”.
9. Lake Karachay is the world’s most polluted lake.
10. Russia’s Lake Baikal contains 20% of the world’s unfrozen fresh water.
11. Chicken’s foot soup is a traditional delicacy.
12. Moscow is the capital and the largest city in Russia.
13. Russia shares its border with 14 countries: Lithuania, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Poland, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Belarus, China, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Mongolia and North Korea.
14. There are nine time zones across Russia.
15. Elbrus is the highest point in Russia.
16. Russia has 12 active volcanoes. Russia is also home to the world’s largest active volcano Klyuchevskaya Sopka, which has a height of 4,750 m.
17. Oymyakon is the coldest recorded spot on Earth.
18. Russia is the world’s ninth largest country in terms of population.
19. Russia is also the leading importer of heroin and in tobacco.
20. Russians never shake hands over a doorway because they believe it leads to arguments.
21. The Urals mountains are the oldest ones in the world.
22. Russia covers 1/7th of the total land on planet earth.
23. The Russian State Library is the second largest library in the world after the Library of Congress in the USA.
24. The Metro of St. Petersburg is the deepest subway in the world.
25. Russia has total 9 time zones.
26. A Russian programmer, Alexei Pazhitnov, created the famous computer game “Tetris” in 1985.
27. Russia became the leading oil producer in the world in 2011.
28. During the World War 2 about 150 babies were born at the stations.
29. The Trans Siberian Railroad is the longest railway line in the world.
30. Russia was the first nation to send a dog to space.
31. Russia has the world’s largest divorce rate.
32. Many rich Russians use ambulances as taxis to avoid traffic jams.
33. It is illegal to drive a dirty car on Russian streets.
34. Russians drive on the right-hand side of the road.
35. The official currency used in Russia is the Ruble.
36. Russia has the world’s largest forest area.
37. Russia is the largest country in the world with an area of 17 million square kilometers.
38. Russia has the largest McDonalds restaurant in the world.
39. The Russian Volga is the longest river in Europe.
40. The first artificial satellite on Earth was Russian and it was called Sputnik.