In many cultures, the Sun is worshiped because it infuses life and divinity. Just like sunshine makes you lively and brings a ray of hope, let these Sun Facts jazz up your mood and charge your batteries for the day.
1. The Sun is over 4.5 billion years old. It started as a cloud of dust and gas. It slowly formed a massive center and gained heat.
2. Many ancient cultures thought the Sun was a god. The solar system is named for the ancient Roman word, Sol.
3. The Sun is a star found at the center of the Solar System.
4. The Sun makes up around 99.86% of the Solar System’s mass.
5. Helioseismology is the study of the interior of the Sun.
6. The diameter of the Sun is about 110 times wider than Earth’s.
7. The sun is studied using many satellites, the main one being the SOHO.
8. The Sun’s surface temperature is around 9941 degrees Fahrenheit.
9. The core of the Sun is around 13600000 degrees Celsius.
10. The Sun generates huge amounts of energy by combining hydrogen nuclei into helium. This process is called nuclear fusion.
11. Around 74% of the Sun’s mass is made up of hydrogen.
12. Light from the Sun reaches Earth in around 8 minutes.
13. The weight of the sun is a mind-boggling 4,385,214,857,119,399,823,317,774,893,056 pounds!
14. It is 30,000 light years away from the center of The Milky Way.
15. The Sun is one million times bigger than the Earth.
16. The gravity of the Sun is 28 times stronger than Earth’s gravity.
17. The Sun produces a solar wind which contains charged particles such as electrons and protons.
18. The bubble that surrounds the Sun and the solar system is called the heliosphere.
19. Sunspots are areas of the Sun that are cooler than the rest. They are often darker in tone than in warmer areas.
20. Sun emits three kinds of energy; visible light, ultraviolet light, and infrared radiation.