Sweden is known for its magnificent natural landscapes, growing foodie culture, tradition, music, charming medieval towns and much more. If you want to know more about this fascinating country, let’s have a look at interesting Sweden Facts which will help you learn more about Sweden.
1. Sweden is located in Northern Europe and it is bordered by Norway and Finland.
2. The Kingdom of Sweden is the official name of Sweden.
3. Sweden is located in the continent of Europe.
4. Sweden is divided into three distinct regions: Gotaland in the south, Norrland in the north and Svealand in the middle.
5. The total area of Sweden is 410,335 square kilometers.
6. The Øresund is an engineering marvel that connects the Danish capital of Copenhagen to the Swedish city of Malmö.
7. The main official language of Sweden is Swedish.
8. The capital of Sweden is Stockholm.
9. The current population of Sweden is 10,048,658 as of Sunday, June 9, 2019.
10. Sweden is the third-largest music exporter in the world behind the U.S. and the UK.
11. A famous and traditional dish of Sweden is Swedish meatballs.
12. Football and Ice hockey are the main sports in Sweden.
13. Until 2009, Swedish was not the official language of Sweden.
14. The Swedish monarchy is one of the oldest in the globe.
15. There are 260,000 reindeer in Sweden.
16. The Green Zone course near Haparanda, Sweden, is believed to be the world’s only two-nation golf course.
17. By area, Sweden is the third largest country in the European Union.
18. The second largest religion in Sweden is Islam.
19. The main Swedish exports to India are communication equipment, motor vehicles, paper & pulp products, pharmaceuticals, chemicals and engineering products.
20. Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, Volvo, and IKEA are three of the largest companies of Sweden.
21. The main imports include food products, machinery, oil, and chemicals.
22. By law, all children 1-12 years have a right to pre-school education in Sweden.
23. From the 1930s through the 1960s Sweden developed a new social welfare state, sometimes called the Mixed Economy.
24. In 1910, Sweden became the first European country to establish national parks.
25. Sweden does not currently use the euro as its currency and has no plans to replace the krona.
26. Dynamite was invented in Sweden by Albert Nobel.
27. There are around 95,700 lakes in Sweden.
28. Sweden has a rich supply of moving water and biomass, which contributes to the country’s high share of renewable energy.
29. In 1979, Sweden became the first nation to ban corporal punishment of kids.
30. Finland was a part of Sweden until 1809.
31. Stockholm is spread across 14 islands.
32. Sweden became the first country to abolish censorship by law.
33. Sweden has not participated in any war for almost two centuries.
34. Sweden is the country with the highest number of patents per capita in Europe.
35. Sweden has the highest number of McDonald’s restaurants per capita in Europe.
36. Averages of 1,836,000 meatballs are eaten daily in Sweden.
37. Sweden has won 625.5 Olympics medals in total.
38. In 1972 Sweden became the first country in the world to allow for the legal change of gender identity.
39. The sales tax subjected to goods and services in Sweden stands at 25%.
40. The Swedish company, King is behind the app game Candy Crush.