Considered one of the most biodiverse countries, producing their own energy and the winner of over five Miss Universe pageants, Venezuela is the country with a lot offer. Check this list of interesting Venezuela Facts to learn more about this great country.
1. The name of Venezuela comes from the Italian word “Veneziola”.
2. Venezuela is the 33rd largest country in the world with a total area of 916,445 square kilometers.
3. Venezuela is located on the northeast coast of South America.
Source: Media Source 4. The official language of Venezuela is
Spanish. 5. The official currency of Venezuela is the Bolivar Fuerte.
6. Main exports of Venezuela include aluminum, steel, cement, and agriculture products.
Source: Media Source 7. President Hugo Chavez served the longest uninterrupted period in office with 11 consecutive years.
8. Venezuela is home to one of the largest national parks in the world, named the Canaima National Park.
9. Venezuela has six times Miss Universe winners and five times Miss World.
Source: Media Source 10. Baseball is the most popular sport in Venezuela.
11. Christopher Columbus was the first European to find the Venezuela.
12. The Joropo is the national dance of the country.
Source: Media Source 13. Electronics, chemicals, and food products are the major imports of Venezuela.
14. The country’s unemployment rate is around 8.1%.
15. 96% of the population of Venezuela are
Source: Media Source 16. Venezuela is divided into 23 states.
17. Venezuela shares a land border with Guyana to the east,
Colombia to the west, and Brazil to the south. 18. They are home to the angel falls, the world’s highest uninterrupted waterfall.
Source: Media Source 19. The cuatro is their national instrument.
20. ‘Arepas’ is their national dish.
21. A famous drink in Venezuela is the ‘Chi Cha Andina’, which is made from rice or corn flour.
Source: Media Source 22. “The Simpsons” television show is banned from public television in Venezuela.
23. Mothers have to carry their children’s birth certificate for buying baby products in Venezuela.
24. Coke Zero has been banned in Venezuela since 2009.
Source: Media Source 25. The total population of Venezuela is 1,304,016 as of July 2017.
26. Venezuela gained independence from
Spain in July 1811. 27. Capybara, the world’s largest rodent is found in the grassy plains of Venezuela.
Source: Media Source 28. Venezuela was listed as the most dangerous country on
Earth in 2015, where one person was murdered every 21 minutes. 29. In 1863, Venezuela became the first modern country to abolish the death penalty for all crimes.
30. Venezuela is 7th country in the world with the highest number of wild species.
Source: Media Source 31. The Venezuela’s furthermost latest constitution was adopted in 1999.
32. Over 25,000 species of orchids can be found in Venezuela.
33. There are over 1,400 bird species found in Venezuela.
Source: Media Source 34. Venezuela is one of the 17 most biodiverse countries on the planet.
35. Venezuela’s gas prices are the cheapest in the world because of their oil reserves.
36. Lake Maracaibo is the largest and oldest lake of Venezuela.
Source: Media Source 37. Over 3,900 species of fungi have been discovered in Venezuela.
38. Their capital city is Caracas.
39. Venezuela is the eighth largest natural gas reserve.
Source: Media Source 40. The Guri Dam is the world’s largest dam, producing all the hydroelectric power the country relies upon.