It is no doubt that Venus is one of the most beautiful & brightest planets in the solar system but what’s more interesting is that its size and mass are very similar to
Earth and sometimes it is also called as Earth’s Sister. Learn this and more interesting Venus facts on this list. 1. Venus was named after the Roman goddess of love and beauty.
2. Venus, like
Mercury, is a terrestrial planet. 3. Venus is the second planet from the
Source: Media Source 4. Venus has the most circular orbit of any planet in the Solar System.
5. The temperature on Venus is 425 degree Celsius.
6. Venus rotates on its axis from East to West.
Source: Media Source 7. The light from the
Sun takes almost 6 minutes to reach Venus. 8. Due to its limited axial tilt, Venus does not experience any seasons.
9. Venus is the hottest planet in the solar system.
Source: Media Source 10. Venus has mountains, valleys and hundreds of volcanoes.
11. Galileo Galilei, an Italian astronomer, observed in 1610 that Venus has phases like that of the
moon. 12. Venus has more volcanoes than any other planet in the Solar System.
Source: Media Source 13. The atmosphere on Venus is very dense.
14. Venus neither has any
moons nor any rings. 15. The highest mountain on Venus is Maxwell Montes.
Source: Media Source 16. Venus’ magnetic field is much weaker than that of the
Earth due to its slow speed of rotation. 17. Venus has been explored by more than 40 spacecraft til date.
18. Venus is the brightest object in the night sky.
Source: Media Source 19. Venus has the longest day of any planet in the Solar System.
20. Venus takes 243
Earth days to rotate on its own axis. 21. Venus’s small induced magnetosphere provides negligible protection to the atmosphere against cosmic radiation.
Source: Media Source 22. Due to Venus slow rotation, the temperature variation on Venus is minimal during day and night.
23. Atmospheric pressure on the surface of Venus is 92 times greater than that on the
Earth. 24. Venera 3 was the first man-made spacecraft to land on Venus in 1966.
Source: Media Source 25. A hole in Venus’ ionosphere was noticed by Pioneer Venus Orbiter.
26. Venus is almost the shape of a perfect sphere.
27. Venus’s diameter is only 400 miles smaller than
Source: Media Source 28. Venus is surrounded by extremely thick cloud making it impossible to see the surface from orbit without radar or radio equipment.
29. The force of gravity on Venus is only 12%.
30. Venus rotates on its axis in the opposite direction to the other planets of the solar system.
Source: Media Source 31. Apart from the
moon, Venus is the brightest object in the night sky. 32. Venus has far fewer impact craters on its surface than
Mercury, Mars, and Earth’s moon. 33. The atmosphere of Venus is made up primarily of carbon dioxide.
Source: Media Source 34. Venus is the only planet named after a female.
35. Scientists doubt any life could exist on Venus, due to the extremely hot temperatures on the planet.
36. Venus’ high surface temperature is a result of the greenhouse effect.
Source: Media Source 37. When Venus lies between
Earth and the Sun, it makes the closest approach to Earth of any planet. 38. The total mass of Venus is 4.8676×1024 Kilograms.
39. Venus has 6 mountain ranges.
Source: Media Source 40. Venera 4 found Venus’s magnetic field to be much weaker than