YouTube is an American video-sharing website that became one of the most visited websites in the world. Read ahead and test yourself whether you knew these interesting YouTube facts or not.
1. YouTube is a free video-hosting website that allows a user to store and share videos.
2. YouTube was created after one of its founders became frustrated with trying to share videos because of attachment size limits.
3. The domain name YouTube.com was registered on Valentine’s Day in 2005.
4. On November 12, 2014 YouTube launched its first premium service, originally called “Music Key.”
5. More than 1 million makers from 30 countries are making money from their YouTube videos.
6. Shakira’s and Activia’s ‘La La La’ is now the most shared video ad ever.
7. YouTube started as a dating site called ‘Tune In, Hook Up’.
8. EMI Music’s YouTube channel has the most views with over 6.3 billion.
9. Justin Bieber’s Vevo channel holds the record for most subscribers for a musical act.
10. YouTube launched in 9 countries in June 2007.
11. The top YouTube searches are for Minecraft, Frozen, Drake, Beyonce, and Eminem with Minecraft topping at 75%.
12. “How to download video from YouTube” is the most asked question on YouTube.
13. In January 2015, YouTube announced that it would support 360° videos.
14. Google purchased YouTube for $1.65 Billion in November 2006.
15. The music video for smash hit single Despacito, from Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee, has become the most-watched YouTube video ever.
16. More than 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute.
17. YouTube has over a billion users, almost one-third of all people on the Internet.
18. The First YouTube Video was uploaded by Jawed Karim at the San Diego Zoo on April 23, 2005.
19. YouTube was founded by 3 owners of PayPal.
20. Near about 70% of videos are viewed on mobile devices.
21. 80% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US.
22. The longest video on YouTube is 571 hours, 1 minutes and 41 seconds long.
23. ‘Gangnam Style’ music video became so popular that broke YouTube’s view counter, which had to be upgraded.
24. YouTube is the second largest search engine after Google.
25. YouTube’s early headquarter was situated above a pizzeria and Japanese restaurant in San Mateo, California.
26. If you search for “Do the Harlem shake” on YouTube, the page itself will do the Harlem shake for you.
27. The most disliked video on YouTube is Justin Bieber’s “Baby,” with over 4,400,000 dislikes.
28. At YouTube’s headquarters, employees can either take the elevator, stairs or a big slide.
29. The most searched tutorial on YouTube is “How to Kiss.”
30. You can navigate YouTube in more than 75 different languages, covering 95% of the Internet population.
31. YouTube has a production space in Los Angeles that is free to use if you have 10,000 subscribers.
32. The oldest video of cats on YouTube dates from 1894.
33. “Grumpy Cat” YouTube star earned more money than Oscar winning actress Gwyneth Paltrow in 2014.
34. YouTube used as much bandwidth as the entire internet used in 2000.
35. In 2007, YouTube began including ads before videos.
36. YouTube’s top earner is Felix Arvid Ulf Kjelberg AKA PewDiePie.
37. In 2009 the US Congress and the President YouTube channels were launched.
38. With 40 million subscribers, PewDiePie’s has the most subscribers of any channel on YouTube.
39. In 2007, British Prime Minister Tony Blair became the first world leader with a YouTube channel.
40. Over 5 billion hours of video are viewed on YouTube every day.